We are a Prepared Community!
Personal Safety Plan
This Personal Safety Plan is being handed to you today because we care for you and about you and for your safety!
- When getting into a car have a friend remember the time and license plate
- Remember to share with each other who is violent or caused problems
- Spotting one another: Tell your “client” that your friend has taken their plate number
- Know the signs of overdosing
- Don’t use drugs alone. If using drugs, use with someone you trust.
- Don’t let people you don’t trust shoot you up or prepare your needle
- Be aware of your body and aware some people will try to assault you by shooting you up without your prior consent.
- Know the signs of hyperthermia / hypothermia
- Remember to hydrate regularly.
- Remember to sleep regularly to avoid psychosis.
- Avoid sleeping in remote areas. If you have a car, lock the doors while sleeping.
- Use the needle exchange to avoid Hep C / aids by sharing needles.
- Always use condoms (including when giving oral pleasure). You can receive condoms from the needle exchange.
- Do NOT share needles
- Bleach does not kill Hep C or HIV
- Walk with another person – Never walk alone
- Trust your feelings.
- Check in with someone you trust daily either a family member, friend or outreach worker. Try to always have it be the same person so we know you’re safe!
Common signs and symptoms of a drug overdose can include:
Dilated pupils - Unsteady walking - Chest pain - Severe difficulty breathing, shallow breathing, or complete cessation of breath - Gurgling sounds that indicate the person’s airway is blocked - Blue lips or fingers - Nausea or vomiting - Abnormally high body temperature - Violent or aggressive behavior - Disorientation or confusion – Paranoia – Agitation - Convulsions or tremors – Seizures – Unresponsiveness – Unconsciousness - Death.
Important Contact Numbers
- 9-1-1 for immediate police assistance
- For immediate assistance if you are fleeing violence Phone 604-792-3116
- 8-1-1 for the BC Nurse’s line (Call to talk to a Nurse or Resource information)
- Victim Link BC (Elder Abuse) 1-800-563-0808
- Mental Health Support Line 310-6789
- Alcohol & Drug information & Referral Service 1-800-663-1441
- Suicide Hot Line 1-800-784-2433
- Kids Help Line 1-800-668-6868
- 24 Hour Rape Crisis Line 604-872-8212
- Chilliwack Hospital 604-795-4141
- Animal Control 604-702-5000
If through our talks I could give you one thing in life, I would give you the ability to see yourself through my eyes and the eyes of your family and friends, because then you would realise how special you truly are.
All painful experiences provided you with an opportunity to heal. We all make mistakes, have struggles and even regret things in our past. But you are NOT your mistakes and you are NOT your struggles. There is no need to be perfect to inspire others. People are inspired by you by how you deal with your imperfections.
You are important and you matter, your feelings matter. Your voice matters. Your story matters. Your life matters. There are moments in life when you are shaken to your very core and those moments will test your strength and faith. When you feel like you want to give up and you can't go much further, look at how far you've come. And know you are thought of and loved!